There are multiple types of saws available in the market but it is important to choose the one which fulfills your needs in the best possible way. Whenever anyone has to cut glass he/she needs to make a choice because there is a tough battle when it comes to ring saw vs band saw. Both of these saws have their pros. and cons. along with being widely used due to their unmatchable performance. We would like to talk about both of these saws in detail so that it would be easier for you to understand the similarities and differences which would be helpful for you to make the right choice.
What is Ring Saw?
A ring saw is basically another type of band saw in which the band is rigid instead of being flexible. So the band is circular instead of having a deviation from the rectangular shape with straight runs between different wheels. The blades in the ring saw are abrasive and in order to avoid the flexure, the blades are made as rings instead of oval bands. The rings have a constant radius which helps the blades to not get bent or flexed during the cutting process.
What is a Band Saw?
A band saw is a saw having long and sharp blades with toothed metal structure. The metal structure is present between 2 or more than 2 wheels to provide precise cutting. The band saws are used widely in wood cutting, lumbering, and metal working. Most of the band saws have 2 wheels but the number of wheels can be increased to 3 or 4 depending upon the need. The blade is available in a variety of sizes which helps the users to customize the machine whenever required.
Pros. of Ring Saw
- The blade is pretty durable.
- The blade can cut in all directions.
- Cutting in really small radius convolutions is possible.
- No adjustment is required for tension or tracking.
- The blade does not come off very often so it is an extremely user friendly machine.
Cons. of Ring Saw
- You can only cut one layer at a time.
- Normally it takes out a large kerf.
- The replacement blades are quite expensive.
- It produces a lot of noise.
Pros. of Band Saw
- You can cut in multiple layers.
- It does not take out a lot of kerf.
- The replacement blades are relatively less expensive as compared to ring saw.
- It is relatively quiet when you compare the noise with a ring saw.
Cons. of Band Saw
- The blades are not really durable and get broken very often.
- You can only cut in one direction.
- You have to constantly track and adjust the tension.
We have tried to provide you with a simple comparison of ring saw vs band saw by explaining the pros. and cons. of both the devices. You can compare your needs with the disadvantages and advantages of both the machines before making up your mind. If you have to cut into various layers you need to choose a band saw and if you want to cut into only one layer the ring saw is your best option. We would love to hear what you have to say about both these devices so do let us know in the comment section.