It is challenging when choosing the type of saw you need. Is it dry cut saw or band saw? Which one serves your purpose? In this dry cut saw vs. band saw article we will compare the two and see which fits your bill.
Dry cut saw
This is a power driven saw whose blades move up and down. It is mainly used to make intricate cuts on wood and metal. Just like its name, it does DRY CUTWORK which is making sculptural ornaments have a dry cut head design.
It is unique because you can make pierce cuts.
The surface finish of the saw is usually clean and smooth. It is pretty noisy. It also has a knob control that helps to control the speed of the blade.
Different sizes and throats
Dry cut saw come in different sizes. The sizes of the saw depend on its throat.
Local shops have these dry cut saws ranging from 12 to 30 inches. You can buy the size that suits your work. Check the throat before buying.
Variations of blades in dry cut saw
It’s obvious that craftsmen need the saws in various ways. You cannot use the same blade for metal work and woodwork. There are common variations of blades in dry cut saw.
- Skip tooth: it is the most common. Has one cutting tooth, a gap and another tooth.
- Double skip tooth: has two teeth, a gap then another two teeth
- Reversed tooth: has regular teeth in upper section but reversed or pointing on the lower section.
- Diamond blades: has diamond coating on the edge of the blade
Types of dry cut saws
There are several types of dry cut saws depending on the work.
Here are different types of dry cut saws
- Parallel arm variations: has two parallel arms and a motor attached at their back.
- The c-arm variations: the arms have a c shape and the blade is attached and the end of the c.
- The parallel link variation: it is the modern version. They have parallel rods where arms resides at the end. The arms are powered by motor to push the blade up and down.
Where do I use a dry cut saw?
They are used in making complex designs, sculptures, toys or puzzles. They give clean and smooth surface finish.
- Comes with foot pedal
- it is noiseless
- accurate and better precision
- high speed of working
- Can’t handle bulk work
This is a power saw that has a band like flexible blades which are attached to wheels placed above and below. They are very effective in making uniform straight cuts.
They are used to cut any kind of material .it is also found in slaughterhouses.
Variations of blades in band saw
Here are three common types available for band saws
- Precision blades: they gives smoothest cuts and best surface finish.
- Butress blade: They are faster than other blade variations
- Claw tooth blade: Best to cut soft materials. Mostly used in slaughterhouses
Types of band saws
There are different types of band saws. Each type handles different purposes.
Here are common types suitable for wood work.
- Bench top band saw: are relatively small and can be moved around easily. Best for solid woods.
- Stationary band saws: are quite large in size and can’t be moved around. Handles hardwoods
- Resaw band machine: they are big and powerful. Used to slice up the thicker blocks into thin veneers.
Where do I use band saw?
You can use it in making slut cuts, angular cuts, circles and arches.
Below are perfect project ideas for band saws
- Heavier furniture like wardrobe
- Trimming operation
- Perfect for thick material
- Has accuracy
- Edge cut are comparatively rougher
- Unable to make pierce cuts
Dry cut saw vs. band saw: bottom-line
In this dry cut saw vs. band saw comparison, see that dry cut saw is best in complicated projects while band saws are best for straight and fast cuts.
It’s up to you. Choose the best saw that suits your needs in wood work.